Monday, April 7, 2014

Beauty review: Million Dollar Tan, Is it really worthy its name?

Million Dollar Tan
Cabana Tan face and body lotion


A beauty review by:
Michelle Hibbard





Thanks to Youtube and the amazing deals at HauteLook I decided to try Million Dollar Tan, a sunless tanning lotion. 

There was quite a bit to choose from. Sprays, lotions, face, body, extreme tanning lotion, the essentials kit to Cabana Tan, and more. 







So out of all of the options I chose the Cabana Tan Face and Body Combo. I bought it on HauteLook so I think I paid around $20, but on the Million Dollar Tan website this small set is retail priced at $62. 

This set


included the Cabana Tan Face Lotion and The Cabana Tan Body Lotion, very simple. I am naturally very light skinned so the Extreme was not for me. I was a little weary of the spray because from past experience sprays don't tend to work well for me. It always came out blotchy on my skin. I'm sure I wasn't doing it right.

Before applying I took a shower making sure my body and face were clean before application. I did not put any other moisturizer or lotion on my face or skin. 

I started with my face, applying a generous amount to my face, hairline, around my ears and on my ears, down my neck to my collar bone and then around to the back of my neck/top of my back and the hair line in the back and behind my ears. I don't want any white spots!


Then I apply the body lotion only to my arms, shoulders, chest and legs. I want to test it out before I take the time to do my whole body. 

After the body application I wash my hands, then take a cotton ball with some of the body tan lotion on it and apply it to the top of my hands. If the product gets on your palms/inside the hand it will turn them a disgusting burnt orange color. 

I should have, however, washed my hands after applying the lotion to my face. Instead I went straight to applying the body lotion. The lotion sat on my hands for too long making them slightly orange. 
                                                                                                   
                                                                                                        FYI: I have redness throughout my face so it may appear I am darker than 
actually am in this photo.

This was 100% my fault. The instructions on the face lotion specifically say to wash hands after application, which I read before applying but thought whats the point if I am applying more to my body right after my face application?
Well that was the point I guess!

Besides the issue with my hands, again, my fault, there are pros and cons to this product. In the title of this blog I wrote "does the product live up to its name?", in my opinion the answer is... no. 





I am not saying this is a horrible self tanning lotion but if you read above the claims they make, "Never orange", wrong! It says this the Cabana Tan Face and Body Pack is "Perfect for those with light to medium skin",  also "Oder free" and "Wont Stain", all of these I have found to be untrue.  

To be perfectly honest, I applied these lotions at night, and the next morning I felt I was pretty satisfied. In fact I started a great review on this product. Then my kids caught a cold so I put the review on hold for a few days. In those 3 days my great review did a 180 degree turn.






Review:

So here is my updated review. Let me start off by saying I am in no way a self tanning lotion expert, I have very little experience with self tanners. I sometimes use them in the Spring, I DO know enough to give a review as a consumer though. Like I said before, this product has both pros and cons, so its not a 100% fail. 
   
I want to start with the positives.

The Cabana  Tan Body Lotion: When applying this lotion, although it is supposed to have no Oder, it did have that self tanning lotion smell to it but it wasn't very strong like other lotions. It didn't bother me at all and I am very sensitive to smells. The lotion was not greasy, it dried into the skin immediately. I applied this lotion before bed, so when I woke up I noticed that my arms and legs (where I applied the self tanner) were a nice tan color, not orange, that was a big plus for me. There was no stains visible on my clothing and there was no streaking on my skin. So far I was really loving this lotion. The next night I applied more because I wanted to go a little darker. Still loving this tanner. 

I was using lotion morning and night because on the back of these lotion bottles it says to keep your skin moisturized because it will help your tan last longer. The third day I moisturized in the morning and went on with my day, I was wearing a white V-neck shirt. When I got home and got ready for bed I noticed that there was tanner all over the neck and arm area of my shirt. Keep in mind I had not used the tanning lotion since the night before and had no stains on my pajamas. I haven't applied anymore lotion since that second night and it is now 2 days later and I am still getting stains on my clothes from the lotion. So my conclusion is that as it wears ir starts to come off with the moisturizer, which I believe any lotion will make it do this since I used 3 different body lotions. Even without lotion any perspiration makes it come off.  It isn't a lot, but it is enough.  


Cabana Tan Face Tanning Lotion:
I have dry skin so after showering I applied my usual facial products including moisturizer, waited about 20 minutes for it to all soak in and then applied the face tanning lotion. Went to bed, woke in the morning and my face was tan, but it had a orange tint to it. Not like the body lotion which didn't really have a orange tint. I thought since I wear makeup anyway its not that big of a deal but I was a bit disappointed. Looked great, no streaking or blotchy areas. It didn't make my pores darker and it all blended really well. Best of all it seemed to make my skin look better. Acne wasn't
as noticeable, redness was not visible at all and my skin just looked so much smoother.

                        I apologize for the "duhhh" look on my face in this picture!

That night when I went to wash my face I started with my usual first step of my routine, make-up removing wipes. I was wiping all of the foundation off of my face when I noticed it seemed like I was wiping forever and I still wasn't getting the foundation off. Then I realized it was the tan that was coming off with the wipe! What the hell? So I stopped with the wipes, washed my face and the applied more of the tanning lotion to put back whatever tan I just wiped off. The next night it was the same thing. I even used a more natural brand of wipes that I never use because I always felt they didn't work very well. The natural wipes were taking just as much of the tanner off as the others.

I have used cheap tanning lotions and never experienced this before. So only 3 days after my last application and the tan is completely off of my face. My body however is still super tan.

Now they do say on the bottle that the face is washed more often and exfoliates faster than the rest of the body. I get that, but it also says that the tan will last at LEAST a week. Mine is completely gone in 3 days. I don't use a Clairsonic and I haven't used anything abrasive like a scrub so this shouldn't be wearing off this fast.  For as much as this tanning lotion costs it should stay on my face for more than 3 days!

Now, having said all of that I will continue to use these self tanning lotions until they run out, but I will not be repurchasing them.  I do not hate this product, there are things about it that I like. I just cant wear white while using it and I will have to apply the face lotion every few days. 
  
I just don't see what all of the hype was about! Sorry Million Dollar Tan!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       














No comments:

Post a Comment